British Diesel & Electrics > EE Type 4 Class 40 Locomotives > LPAP-DSL-CO-0078

EE TYPE 4 CLASS 40

The Class 40 Diesel Locomotive was designed and built to pull express passenger services. They were built between 1958 and 1962 by English Electric at the Vulcan Foundry in Newton-le-Willows in a 1Co-Co1 configuration. They first saw service between London Liverpool Street and Norwich, including the East Coast Main Line. Due to a lack of power they were subsequently transferred for use on passenger services on the West Coast Main Line. Later, due to the electrification of the WCML, they were demoted to freight and local passenger services. They were gradually retired between 1976 and 1985. All were withdrawn by 1988, and several locomotives have been preserved.

LPAP-DSL-CO-0078 
 Seen pausing at Sheffield, 40091 is working the Skegness - Manchester, 11th August 1984. 
 Keywords: BR, Midland, LMS, Yorkshire, Sheffield, Diesel, BR, Passenger, Colour, Class40, 40091, D291, SP, 1984
© Lineside Photographics
 

Seen pausing at Sheffield, 40091 is working the Skegness -

Manchester, 11th August 1984.