British Diesel & Electrics > EE Type 4 Class 40 Locomotives > LPAP-DSL-CO-0006

EE TYPE 4 CLASS 40

The Class 40 Diesel Locomotive was designed and built to pull express passenger services. They were built between 1958 and 1962 by English Electric at the Vulcan Foundry in Newton-le-Willows in a 1Co-Co1 configuration. They first saw service between London Liverpool Street and Norwich, including the East Coast Main Line. Due to a lack of power they were subsequently transferred for use on passenger services on the West Coast Main Line. Later, due to the electrification of the WCML, they were demoted to freight and local passenger services. They were gradually retired between 1976 and 1985. All were withdrawn by 1988, and several locomotives have been preserved.

LPAP-DSL-CO-0006 
 Trundling along lines that are now lifted, 40133 glides through Guide Bridge, with a train of ballast wagons, 7th April 1983. 
 Keywords: BR, Midland, LMS, Manchester, Guide Bridge, Diesel, BR, Engineer, Colour, Class40, 40133, D333, CD, 1983
© Lineside Photographics
 

Trundling along lines that are now lifted, 40133 glides through

Guide Bridge, with a train of ballast wagons, 7th April 1983.