British Diesel & Electrics > EE Type 4 Class 40 Locomotives > LPJC-DSL-CO-0069

EE TYPE 4 CLASS 40

The Class 40 Diesel Locomotive was designed and built to pull express passenger services. They were built between 1958 and 1962 by English Electric at the Vulcan Foundry in Newton-le-Willows in a 1Co-Co1 configuration. They first saw service between London Liverpool Street and Norwich, including the East Coast Main Line. Due to a lack of power they were subsequently transferred for use on passenger services on the West Coast Main Line. Later, due to the electrification of the WCML, they were demoted to freight and local passenger services. They were gradually retired between 1976 and 1985. All were withdrawn by 1988, and several locomotives have been preserved.

LPJC-DSL-CO-0069 
 On the late morning of a summer Sunday in 1962 English Electric Type 4 diesel electric locomotive No.D381 of Camden depot (1B) in London passes the platforms of the former station at Church Brampton, Northants, with a pasenger train.

Church Brampton station was on the Northampton loop line between Roade and Rugby, about 4 miles north of Northampton. Opened by the L&NWR in 1881 at the same time as the line, the station closed on 18 May 1931. However, the platforms remained in place more than 30 years afterwards. All remaining traces were erased when the line was electrified in the 1960s. 
 Keywords: BR, Midland, LMS, Northamptonshire, Church Brampton, Diesel, EE, Class40, Passenger, Colour, D381, 1B, 40181, 1962
© Lineside Photographics
 

On the late morning of a summer Sunday in 1962

English Electric Type 4 diesel electric locomotive No.D381 of Camden depot (1B) in London passes the platforms of the former station at Church Brampton, Northants, with a pasenger train.

Church Brampton station was on the Northampton loop line between Roade and Rugby, about 4 miles north of Northampton. Opened by the L&NWR in 1881 at the same time as the line, the station closed on 18 May 1931. However, the platforms remained in place more than 30 years afterwards. All remaining traces were erased when the line was electrified in the 1960s.